St. Ignatius Mission
Photo courtesy: MTOT
Interior of St. Ignatius
Four Winds Trading Post
St. Ignatius, in the center of the Flathead Indian Reservation a few miles south of Ronan, is the home of a reservation sub-agency. It was named in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the Spanish priest who founded the Society of Jesus. The Roman Catholic mission, St. Ignatius Mission, of the same name is now a National Historic landmark founded there in 1854 by Frs. DeSmet, Hoecken, and Menestrey, all Jesuits. (from Cheney's Names on the Face of Montana, Mountain Press Publishing Company)
Established in 1854, the mission was built by Native Americans under the direction of Catholic missionaries. There are 58 original murals by Brother Joseph Carignano on its walls and ceiling. The Mission Range of mountains provides a striking backdrop for the mission.
Rich in history and native culture, this small town on the Flathead Indian Reservation offers beautiful views of the Mission Valley. You'll find Native American crafts and artifacts at the Four Winds Indian Trading Post and Native American artifacts, antique toys and trains.
The Flathead Indian Reservation is home to the Confederated Salish and Kootenai tribes. The tribes are a combination of the Salish, the Pend d'Oreille and the Kootenai. St. Ignatius is just a few miles from the National Bison Range and Ninepipe and Pablo National Wildlife Refuge in Moiese. Here, approximately 500 readily visible bison roam nearly 20,000 acres of natural grassland. Visitors are also likely to see elk, bighorn sheep, antelope and deer on self-guided auto tours, year-round.
Southwest Montana Travel Information
Southwest Montana travel information and a free Visitor's Guide.
Central Montana Travel Information
Central Montana travel information and a free Travel Planner.
Big Sky Montana Hotels
Visit Big Sky, Montana this Winter!