Lump Gulch - Clancy
The area silver was found uncovered in an area eight miles long and four miles wide which included Lump Gulch, Clancy Gulch, Strawberry Gulch, Shingle Gulch and Warm Springs Gulch. Lump Gulch was prospected for placer gold, exaggerated reports brought a stampede to the diggings. Heavy lodes weren't found, so it was quickly deserted. Years later quartz lodes were discovered in the coarse-grained micaceous granite and was worked with success. The mineral ledges of Lump Gulch were inverted, meaning that findings were small near the surface and widened with depth. A few months later it paid $200,000 in dividends. In 1864 the area was named by William Sprague and Fred Jones because of a single lump of gold they found on a prospecting adventure in the gulch.The Liverpool Mine was a rich producer in the 1890's, but nothing remains except a single building.